Emergency blue light call boxes
The Oakland campus is equipped with 24-hour emergency call boxes located in the following parking lots: Richards Road, Post Road, CPM, Orchard Meadow, Prospect Hill, and the Wetmore gate. See the emergency phone locations on the Oakland campus map (PDF). Identified by a blue light, call boxes are activated by pressing the emergency button on the front which immediately connects you with the Oakland security gatehouse and field officers. The call box automatically provides your location to our public safety officers.
Residence hall safety
Students are advised to close and lock all windows and doors when leaving residence hall rooms or apartments. To prevent theft through open windows and unlocked doors, propping open building access windows and doors is prohibited. Do not leave personal items in common areas and be sure to store valuable items out of sight in residence hall rooms.
Pine Top Fitness Trail safety
Our Pine Top hiking and running trail loops around the Oakland campus perimeter, taking you through the hills and by Lake Aliso on the eastern edge of campus and past the campus farm on the western side. See the trail route on the campus map (PDF). Our campus community is encouraged to use this approximately 2-mile fitness trail during daylight hours with a partner or group. You may encounter local wildlife such as deer, raccoons, or wild turkeys while on the trail. For your safety, give any animals a wide berth and do not attempt to feed or touch them.
Situational awareness tips
We encourage everyone to keep our community safe by following these standard guidelines:
- Don’t leave valuable items unattended.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Don’t walk with both earbuds in and don’t be distracted by your devices.
- Walk in well-lit or populated areas and avoid walking alone if possible.
- Have your car, residence hall, or apartment key in hand before you reach the door.
- Report suspicious activity or individuals.
- See something, say something!
- Trust your instincts—if something doesn’t feel right, remove yourself from the situation.
- Program your cell phone to speed-dial 911 and Oakland Public Safety’s emergency number, 510.430.3333.
- Know your resources.
- Oakland Public Safety offers personal safety escorts 24/7 on campus.
- The SafeZone app connects you directly to local emergency services.
More safety tips
For additional information, visit the Northeastern University Police Department’s General Safety Tips page.