NUPD Timely Warning Notification
The Northeastern University Police Department [NUPD] is investigating an unauthorized entry that occurred inside a university leased apartment at 109 St. Stephen St. A student reported that sometime between Tuesday evening 8/29/2023 and early this morning 9/1/2023, an unknown individual had gained access to their apartment while vacant and rummaged through items within the apartment. Access appears to have been gained through an unlocked bedroom window off the fire escape. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact Northeastern University Police Department at 617.373.2121.
The NUPD would like to share the following important safety tips:
Secure Your Residence – Lock Your Doors and Windows
- Use the risor restrictors on windows, particularly those accessible near ground floor levels or fire escapes. Be aware of your surroundings when coming and going from your residence and do not let others “piggyback” into your apartment building. If you find yourself in a situation where you feel unsafe, contact NUPD at 617.373.3333 or activate the SafeZone app as soon as you are able.
SafeZone Mobile Safety App
- SafeZone is a smart phone app that any student, faculty, or staff member can download and use for free. This app will connect you directly to the NUPD should you need our assistance or emergency support while you are on campus. More information on the SafeZone mobile app can be found at nupd.northeastern.edu/safezone
Know Your Resources
- Take note of where emergency phones are on campus and know that you can always contact the NUPD. The NUPD offers personal safety escorts 24 hours a day from one point to another on campus whenever you feel unsafe. From 7:00pm until 6:00am, the REDEYE service is available to provide you with a ride up to two miles off campus. For additional information on all of the services that NUPD offers, please see our website at nupd.northeastern.edu or contact us at 617.373.2121.
Trust Your Instincts
- Taking control of your own safety means doing what is necessary to avoid dangerous situations. If something doesn’t feel right, even if you can’t put your finger on why, try to remove yourself from the situation altogether. Trust your instincts and contact NUPD at 617.373.2121.
Emergency Notification | Timely Warning Notification
- Northeastern University uses the NU Alert system to communicate emergency notifications and timely warning messages to our community. Messages sent on this system may go to emails and phone numbers registered in the StudentHub portal for students, and the WorkDay portal for staff and faculty. NU Alerts are issued when an immediate threat to health or safety of the campus has been confirmed. Timely Warning notifications are sent by email when a serious and/or violent crime has occurred on campus but there is no imminent threat. NU Advisory messages are sent to a campus community by email notification when an incident does not require an NU Alert or Timely Warning but offers an opportunity to provide safety information. Please ensure your contact information, cell phone number and email, is kept up to date at https://www.getrave.com/login/northeastern. For more information about the NU Alert system, please visit nupd.northeastern.edu/nualert/.
Remember to be safe!
Northeastern University Police Department