NUPD Timely Warning Notification
The Northeastern University Police Department [NUPD] and the Boston Police Department are investigating an armed robbery that occurred outside of 129 Hemenway Street earlier this morning. An individual was approached by a male and a female suspect who displayed a firearm and proceeded to take the individual’s wallet and backpack and shove the individual to the ground. The suspects got into a waiting gray compact vehicle that then fled the area.
Over the past two weeks, there has been an increased number of robberies reported to Boston Police Department in the surrounding areas. The NUPD would like to remind you of the following important safety tips:
Be Aware of Your Surroundings
- Remove distractions whenever possible. Getting lost in thought or in your headphones may be routine when walking to class or studying in a quiet spot, but it is crucial to keep your eyes and ears open. While this sounds easy enough, listening to music, talking on a cell phone, and text messaging are all distractions. Know what is going on around you and keep alert. Plan your route and avoid unfamiliar streets whenever possible. If you notice anything that you feel is unsafe or suspicious, notify security staff immediately. If you find yourself in a situation where you feel unsafe or threatened, contact NUPD at 617.373.3333 or activate the SafeZone app as soon as you are able.
Avoid Walking Alone and Trust Your Instincts
- There is safety in numbers and it is always beneficial to walk with others, especially at night and in the early hours of the morning. If you feel unsafe, or if something doesn’t feel right even if you can’t put your finger on the reason why, contact NUPD.
SafeZone Mobile Safety App
- SafeZone is a smart phone app that any student, faculty, or staff member can download and use for free. This app will connect you directly to the NUPD should you need our assistance or emergency support while you are on campus. More information on the SafeZone mobile app can be found at nupd.northeastern.edu/safezone
Know Your Resources
- Take note of where emergency phones are on campus and know that you can always contact the NUPD. The NUPD offers personal safety escorts 24 hours a day from one point to another on campus whenever you feel unsafe. From 7:00pm until 6:00am, the REDEYE service is available to provide you with a ride up to two miles off campus. For additional information on all of the services that NUPD offers, please see our website at nupd.northeastern.edu or contact us at 617.373.2121.
- Northeastern University uses the NU Alert system to communicate emergency notifications and timely warning messages to our community. Messages sent on this system may go to emails and phone numbers registered in your myNortheastern portal. Be sure to keep this information current. NU Alerts are issued when an immediate threat to health or safety of the campus has been confirmed. Timely Warning notifications are sent by email notification when a serious and/or violent crime has occurred on campus. For more information about the NU Alert system, please visit nupd.northeastern.edu/nualert/.
Remember to be safe!
Northeastern University Police Department